- Addition of 5.5.0 build 1369380 test and logic. Version 0.2.1.1:
- Addition of 5.1.0 build 1065491 test Version 0.2.1:
- Forge release
- Preparation for integration into vmwaretools module Version 0.2.0:
- return nil on non-vmware hosts for the vmware and vmware_patchlevel facts.
- dmidecode path is no longer hardcoded, but generated from the result of 'which dmidecode'
- Major refactor of code to reside in module layout, and to provide unit tests.
This Fact is meant to allow guest VMs to know what version of ESX the hypervisor is running. This made possible from the information found here: http://virtwo.blogspot.com/2010/10/which-esx-version-am-i-running-on.html
I have tested this with the following versions
ESXi 3.5 207095 (E66C0) ESXi 4.0 171294 (EA550) ESXi 4.0u1 208167 (EA550) ESXi 4.0u2 261974 (EA550) ESXi 4.0u3 398348 (EA550) ESXi 4.0u4 504850 (EA550) ESXi 4.1 260247 (EA2E0) ESXi 4.1u2 800380 (EA2E0) ESXi 5.0 469512 (E72C0) ESXi 5.0u1 623860 (E72C0) ESXi 5.1 799733 (EA0C0) ESXi 5.1.0 1065491 (EA0C0) ESXi 5.5.0 1369380 (EA050)
ESXi 5.0u2 914586 (E72C0) support was added by https://github.com/kaistian/vmware_puppetfact
If you have access to something other than what's listed, if you wouldn't mind sending me a note containing:
- The version/update of VMware
- The build number
- the output of 'dmidecode -t bios' from a linux vm inside that version I'll happily update this with that information so it can be more useful to all
NOTE: The bios is only read at power-on. A reboot will NOT update the bios information. If you notice an incorrect bios string, try powering off the VM completely and powering it back on. This will reload the bios, and you should have the proper address and release date.
Thanks to: Adrien Thiebo Stefan Heijmans Eric Shamow Mike Arnold Kai Stian Olstad Eric Sakowski Søren Andreas Bodekær Kröger